Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
Dave Van
Engineer

Re: Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Post by Dave Van »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:Dear Lord! Doesn't that fireman realize he's in MORTAL DANGER! Someone warn him! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carowinds locomotive engineer 1975-76
24000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics
From 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 trips!!!
http://www.currtail.com
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Dave Van wrote: WAY too logical!!! and too fast too!!! And no safety harness involved??? You must love danger!
Well, I don't see any safety harness with the step ladder that they are currently using, I'm assuming that it confirms to OSHA regulations
DeuceMan_408 wrote: You at Roaring Camp, Niles, or Sugar Pine? Pm me if you fear the OSHA Gods are watching. I say yes to more Hook's!
I'm actually at the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad in Los Gatos. We can't stand on the tender of our engine anyway cause it's a whaleback/vanderbilt hybrid and we'd just slip off, I'm pretty sure OSHA wouldn't be happy about that!
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Blacksheep Uncle
Fireman

Post by Blacksheep Uncle »

I'm still convinced that it isn't an OSHA issue anymore but an internal Disney directive

I know I'm getting this from a "friend of a friend", and it is worth taking it with a grain of salt, but I've heard that the backstage people have been told they can't step higher than the second step on a ladder :shock: ...I KNOW that Cal/OSHA is overly intrusive, but even they don't have a requirement like that...somebody at Disney Inc. has gone off the rails with overly restrictive safety requirements
mike
"A man came up to me and said, 'Isn't it sad Walt isn't alive to see this?' and I answered, 'He did, and that's why it's here.'" ----Art Linkletter, Disneyland, 7/17/05
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Blacksheep Uncle wrote:I'm still convinced that it isn't an OSHA issue anymore but an internal Disney directive

I know I'm getting this from a "friend of a friend", and it is worth taking it with a grain of salt, but I've heard that the backstage people have been told they can't step higher than the second step on a ladder :shock: ...I KNOW that Cal/OSHA is overly intrusive, but even they don't have a requirement like that...somebody at Disney Inc. has gone off the rails with overly restrictive safety requirements

Well even two steps on a ladder is sufficent to get the low tenders on the Holliday, Marsh, and Ripley. It's the Gurley and Kimball's high tanks that I think are proving to be a problem.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Blacksheep Uncle wrote:I'm still convinced that it isn't an OSHA issue anymore but an internal Disney directive...somebody at Disney Inc. has gone off the rails with overly restrictive safety requirements
I think you are probably right on this.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

This is why I probably could never work for Disney even though it was a long-time goal of mine. It's not an engineering company, plain and simple. In many ways that's a good thing as we engineers look at the world in a completely different way than 99.99% of the rest of the planet. But in cases like this where logic and critical reasoning are required, Disney's decisions would drive me absolutely insane if I worked there in any way.

Every place that I've worked at so far used some form of the scientific method to make a decision or come to a conclusion. That's because the management teams came from the same background as us worker bees. That just doesn't seem to be the case at Disney since it is not an engineering or scientific company.
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
lillybellefan2-6-0
Passenger

Post by lillybellefan2-6-0 »

Whoever is running this show of unnessacary "saftey regulations" which are at this point (actually more like any point) hurting more than helping needs to stop. Filling up the tanks every trip wont work forever, it justs takes too long. As stated above common sense no longer exists in this situation.
"I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train"

-Walt Disney
Pennyf9Train
Fireman

Post by Pennyf9Train »

Wow and I thought the new regulations regarding tenders on the WDWRR were ridiculous but this tops it.
"How can you move forward if you keep regretting the past?"- Edward Elric