Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
Pullman
Engineer

Re: Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Post by Pullman »

More thoughts on this whole CALOSHA thing:

http://micechat.com/27229-disneyland-ru ... -mountain/

"During the investigation of the Space Mountain incident, it quickly became apparent that a new safety standard applied to new construction in California wasn’t being met by many of Disneyland’s older rides and facilities. That new standard as applied by DOSH states that any walkway that has more than a 30 inch drop off one side must have either double handrails at 42 inches high, or a walkway more than six feet wide, or an approved safety harness system for anyone traveling along that walkway. The one exception to that rule is if the drop leads to water that is less than four feet deep, then the water is considered adequate fall protection and a narrow walkway is exempt from that standard (which is exactly why Pirates of the Caribbean and Grizzly River Run have been allowed to remain operational)."

The important point here being ignored? "that a new safety standard applied to new construction in California wasn’t being met by many of Disneyland’s older rides and facilities."

New Construction.

If the suits would stand their ground with CALOSHA, they could avoid a lot of this by clearly stating that the locomotives and the railroad are not new construction. Any work such as rehab of equipment does not fall within that scope.

And ...

"It’s important to realize that these closures were not mandated by DOSH, as the older facilities are grandfathered in to the previous walkway standards. But in Disney’s new “safety culture” that is the height of fashion with trendy executives, it was considered gutsy and bold to close other attractions that don’t meet the modern standard, even though DOSH had been inspecting those facilities for years and had cleared them for daily operation."

Time for some folks in management to grow a pair.
"Mongo not know where choo-choo go. Only pawn in game of life."

www.theblueparrot.info

Disney, Pop Culture and Entertainment. 6 Days A Week.
Bruce R Pier
1000 post Engineer

Post by Bruce R Pier »

IDMT129 wrote:Someone on another site asked a very good question. "Is Cal OSHA doing this to Knott's?". If they are just targeting Dismeyland RR they may have a business discrimination lawsuit.
My GT&C RR contacts are quiet on this.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:Over on Laughing Place, it's been reported that tender rides have been suspended, and the Gurley and Kimball are out of commission.
Well, that's sad news to hear that my two favorite Baldwin's are now out of service. Does Disney plan to run just the Holliday, Ripley, and Marsh on all days now?
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

I'm just looking for confirmation before I call anyone.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Just a fan
Passenger

Post by Just a fan »

Bruce R Pier wrote:The watering up issue hit the CP&LE a couple of years ago. Here is how they dealt with that -
http://www.cplerr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=606
Huh. They have the same setup at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. I always thought it was done like that to speed up the watering process. I had no idea it might have been OSHA related.

Jeff
SerriaRailwayMatt3
Brakeman

Post by SerriaRailwayMatt3 »

But what will happened to the two Baldwins? Will they be stuck on display in the engine house forever? Are you sure that this is just temporary or is it really 100% true that neither of the Baldwins will never steam again. :shock: :( :x This is _____ing ridiculous, why these engines?
Proud Supporter Of The New Norfolk Southern Railroad 21st Century Steam Program
Formerly know here as under the username Matt3985
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

SerriaRailwayMatt3 wrote:But what will happened to the two Baldwins? Will they be stuck on display in the engine house forever? Are you sure that this is just temporary or is it really 100% true that neither of the Baldwins will never steam again. :shock: :( :x This is _____ing ridiculous, why these engines?
At this point, if OSHA is going to be really stubborn about this matter, I wouldn't mind the CMs drilling a hole in the side of the tanks on the forneys to mount a valve for filling up the tank. It's a small sacrifice to see both steamed up again.
TFN5459

SerriaRailwayMatt3
Brakeman

Post by SerriaRailwayMatt3 »

I would rather keep the engines the way they were when they were built by Baldwin (I think Walt would agree with me on that) I don't mind if they do it to the CK Holiday or RP Ripley but for the #3 #4 #5, I would keep them as they were to preserve their history
Proud Supporter Of The New Norfolk Southern Railroad 21st Century Steam Program
Formerly know here as under the username Matt3985
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Sorry to say, Sierra, but Disney seriously, heavily and with diliberate Disnification in mind, altered the looks of 3, 4, and 5 from their original looks. 4 was a saddle tank engine with no tender and no front pilot. I really suggest you get Michael Broggie's book The Walt Disney RR Story now that it is available again. I also recommend Steve's books on both the Ward Kimball and the Welcome Aboard the Disneyland RR if you can find them.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

IDMT129 wrote:Sorry to say, Sierra, but Disney seriously, heavily and with diliberate Disnification in mind, altered the looks of 3, 4, and 5 from their original looks. 4 was a saddle tank engine with no tender and no front pilot. I really suggest you get Michael Broggie's book The Walt Disney RR Story now that it is available again. I also recommend Steve's books on both the Ward Kimball and the Welcome Aboard the Disneyland RR if you can find them.

The Gurley, Kimball, and Marsh have been modified from their original Baldwin configurations but I would have to say the Gurley is the least modified out of the 3.
TFN5459