Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
Dave Van
Engineer

Re: Cal/OSHA affects the DRR

Post by Dave Van »

I, for one, am very thankful that the Govt is so concerned for me and my inability to do any common tasks. How I made it through two seasons on the Carowinds & Carolina RR I will never know. I think back how many times I climbed to the dizzy height of those tender decks to fill with water or oil. I never realized what a dare devil I was!!
Carowinds locomotive engineer 1975-76
24000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics
From 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 trips!!!
http://www.currtail.com
DeuceMan_408
Brakeman

Post by DeuceMan_408 »

Mr Van I give you one imaginary face book like. I'm enjoying your humor on this.
Blacksheep Uncle
Fireman

Post by Blacksheep Uncle »

D&RG style dog houses on the tenders :shock:

And it is beging to seem like the problem isn't necessarily CalOSHA, but somebody at Disney Inc. being wildy, wildy overly cautious.
mike
"A man came up to me and said, 'Isn't it sad Walt isn't alive to see this?' and I answered, 'He did, and that's why it's here.'" ----Art Linkletter, Disneyland, 7/17/05
DeuceMan_408
Brakeman

Post by DeuceMan_408 »

Blacksheep Uncle wrote:D&RG style dog houses on the tenders :shock:

And it is beging to seem like the problem isn't necessarily CalOSHA, but somebody at Disney Inc. being wildy, wildy overly cautious.

One fine away from a electric powered box car pushing the trains. No I don't think that would be funny, but not surprised given the state. Sorry guys my posts my seem lame but I feel like being a active poster this week.
mSummers
Passenger

Post by mSummers »

DeuceMan_408 wrote:It would be a eye sore but can't they build a platform on the side with rails, harness and such? Better than adding more stuff to the engines. I see them use stuff like that for filling up truck tankers, over people hanging off the sides or on top of the rig. Just a general question to whoever not just TFN5459 posting.
Why not just use a long pole with a hook on it? That was the WDWRR's solution to the same problem.
DeuceMan_408
Brakeman

Post by DeuceMan_408 »

mSummers wrote:
DeuceMan_408 wrote:It would be a eye sore but can't they build a platform on the side with rails, harness and such? Better than adding more stuff to the engines. I see them use stuff like that for filling up truck tankers, over people hanging off the sides or on top of the rig. Just a general question to whoever not just TFN5459 posting.
Why not just use a long pole with a hook on it? That was the WDWRR's solution to the same problem.

Great idea but hooks are dangerous. Would require more training and certificates. And is possibly offensive to anyone who has a hook ( inserts "Bay Area" humor and offensives).
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Why not keep it Disney? A CM train crew could hoist Capt Hook up to the down spout, his over sized hook could easily claw the big ring and then his weight would safely lower the arm to the tender as he landed like a dainty butterfly on the ground. Yup, yer traveling on a Gen-U-ine priate locomotive, just like our forefathers didn't.
Dave Van
Engineer

Post by Dave Van »

No.....Tinkerbell flies up and lowers the water pipe....then after the ride a meet and greet with Tinker!! I think we have fixed it!
Carowinds locomotive engineer 1975-76
24000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics
From 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 trips!!!
http://www.currtail.com
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Dave Van wrote:I think we have fixed it!
Not quite. Just before you have Tinkerbell debut doing her thing filling tenders with water on the DRR, you blab on and one endlessly about it to all known forms of news media to the point where the very people you're trying to attract to the park are sick of hearing about it. Overhype, overhype, overhype...it's The Disney Way! Oh, and when those news cameras are rolling at the park for the media day for Tinkerbell's debut, you invite every B-list, C-list...all the way to Z-list "celebrity" to come to the park and say whitty things (dumb things that nobody cares about) to the cameras.

OK...now the problem has been fixed...The Disney Way!
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
beacon_joe
Passenger

Post by beacon_joe »

At WDWRR we were hit by the whole not standing to the tender issue. The only difference is that it came internally in an attempt to ward off any intrusion by the dreaded OSHA. The only thing I can say is that OSHA in Florida seems to be a little more laid back and easier to deal with.

We stand on the back of the tenders and chain ourselves on a little platform they built. We then use a poll with a hook to open the hatch and pull down the spout. The same hook is then used to operate a new lever that opens the water valve. It is all done from the standing upright position and requires little bending. It was not received well at first, but over time seems to work quit well.

As far as the boiler pressure at night, that is a bit absurd. If it is true, someone needs to give them a book written over 100 years ago that explains a steam locomotive. Because guess what, they have not changed...

By the way, when we stand on the back of the tender or in the cabs of our locomotives, we are standing over 30"s off the ground. Just saying...