FTW RR Books are available....

Extinct railroad at Walt Disney World
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Winter Discounts...

Post by DavidLeaphart »

A couple of folks have asked when the next book special might come along...well, it's Now... :wink:

For the rest of February, both books are discounted by 5%..... If you've been thinking about picking up a copy, this might be a good time.

Thanks to everyone who have sent great feedback and notes on the books...

David
-----------------------------
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing...W.E.D. The new Walt Disney World Railroad book is now available on Amazon!
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Re: FTW RR Books are available....

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hi Folks,

Just got a coupon from the printer (lulu.com) for free shipping.

Their instructions: Use coupon code APRILMAIL305 at checkout, select Mail Shipping and
receive the single book shipping cost free.

Their offer is good through April 30th.....

Thanks.
David
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing...W.E.D. The new Walt Disney World Railroad book is now available on Amazon!
Tommy Gray
Conductor

WDW RR Book

Post by Tommy Gray »

David, I have really enjoyed the first two books on the FWRR. I was wondering where you might be in putting together the WDW RR book. Looking forward to this book, too!
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hey Tommy,

Thanks for your note! Glad you enjoyed the books. For everybody's benefit, Tommy was key with the FTW RR books. He put me down the path that finally lead to the excellent B&W photos in the book taken by the late Wilbur T. Golson, as well as his own contributions!

I'm currently working on Part 2 of the series which will cover the horse drawn car and WDW Railroad. The coverage of the WDW Railroad will tilt more to the pre-Disney days since so much is available on the Disney operation. A big objective is to tie together the horse car, railroad, and Main Street/Town Square and how they integrate together to form the "story" in the Kingdom. I really think this will be an interesting history and commentary book on what Walt was trying to accomplish in the parks for Town Square.

Currently, I'm in the midst of creating the illustrations for the book. I've started with Main Street and have just completed a scale rendition of the Main Street Station, trackside view. The illustration will be combined with photos (pre-Disney and Disney) for full coverage. Currently, I'm working on City Hall and how it ties architecturally to the station. The last big illustration will show the "never built" Town Square Hotel and Coffee Mill Restaurant. Again, they had big ties architecturally to the station and City Hall. All three combined with the horse car to create the show that is "Town Square/Main Street". Once these are completed, other scale illustrations to be done will include each of the four locomotives, passenger "excursion" car, and the horse car. This is pretty slow going so I don't have a good date yet for the book......

One idea and please anyone comment .....like the FTW RR Companion Book, what about a Companion Book for Part 2 that would center around the many railroad stories/photos from lots of folks like yourselves? Since the railroad is currently operating and is there for everyone to see and experience, my own coverage (like I did on the FTW RR) would be kinda "goofy"...no pun intended! A compendium of the many witness stories and photos by all that have enjoyed the railroad might be a better take on covering the current operation.....please let me know....

David
Tommy Gray
Conductor

Post by Tommy Gray »

Just a thought and you probably are already on this. I hope you can include stories/interviews from the cast/crew members who operate the WDW RR everyday. I just know there have to be some great stories from these wonderful people. Everytime I've ever visited WDW and ridden the trains and taken the tour, the pride in what they are doing is very evident. These are some very friendly folks and I've enjoyed talking with a few of them during my visits to the MK. I hope to retire one day, if the Lord taries, and maybe work on the WDW RR(talk about a dream come true). Thanks again for working to put this story in print. Tommy
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hey Tommy,

For sure....a big and most enjoyable part of the journey of creating these books is getting to know the wonderful folks who make the magic. It's a real pleasure and honor that I have come to know quite a number of the cast members: FTW RR, WDW RR, and the horse car. Their stories and experiences will be key.

Take care,
David
:D :D
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hi Folks,

Have had some folks ask about walking the old roadbed this summer and they were asking about the roadbed maps in the book. With summer vacations on us, I thought a 10% book discount would be in order for those interested in having the map references. Between now and the end of July, the discount will be valid.

Thanks!
David :D
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hi Folks,

An update for you...the first edition of the FTW RR books is no longer available. I have been lucky to have a former cast member share over 200 over her photos. With those photos and some additional findings, I hope to be releasing the second edition of the book set around June 1st.

The second edition is proving to be quite an update.....

Take care,
David
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hi Everyone,

An update for you. The second edition of the Fort Wilderness Railroad books is nearing completion. A former cast member found her long "lost" pictures of those times and has graciously agreed to share them. They have really expanded the story, especially in the photo and art gallery companion volumes. I've also corrected some grammar and mis-spellings along with applying some really nice new tools to improve the photo and graphics quality. For those who choose to get the second edition, I think you will be pleased.

I have one more trip to the Fort for some photos and data gathering. Then I'll be able to finish the books. Fun stuff!

David
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

Hi Everyone,

My trip to the Fort was very worthwhile and productive. I was able to get the photos I needed to complete the second edition. I was also able to spend some good time with Jimmy Graves and Vern Conner. The discussions, as always, added more information to the story!

The books are complete, and proofs are on their way. I should be able to release them around June 1st. This second edition has come together nicely, and for those who are interested, you should be pleased with the outcome!

Take care,
David