FWRR Loco Plan book?

Extinct railroad at Walt Disney World
Curtis_F
Passenger

FWRR Loco Plan book?

Post by Curtis_F »

Gentlemen,

While I gather there would be some interest in a "Plan Book" (similar to Preston's for the CK Holiday) for the FWRR locomotives, is there enough interest to actually recoup publishing costs? (I wouldn't expect to make much of a profit) The "CK Holiday" is still operational and has a much larger fan base.

If there was a plan book what would you want to see in it?

If not a plan book, how about a detailed erecting drawing? What other detail or assembly drawings would be of interest?

Thank you for your time,

Curtis F.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: FWRR Loco Plan book?

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Hey Curtis,

This sounds neat, and if you have the access to one of the engines, it would be a fun thing to do.

Keep in mind that David Leaphart's book on the FWRR has some pretty detailed drawings already, but of course not a complete set like what you might find in a plan book.

Preston went into his project more as a labor of love for the subject, not necessarily to make money. If you have a similar attachment to the FWRR engines, I think you should go for it and see where it takes you! As for publishing costs, Preston basically does print-on-demand. If you have to actually print a run of several dozen (or whatever) then you might have difficulty recouping costs.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Curtis_F
Passenger

Post by Curtis_F »

Steve,

Thank you for the reply.
Steve DeGaetano wrote:This sounds neat, and if you have the access to one of the engines, it would be a fun thing to do.
FWRR #1 is 50' away from my office. If the board allowed attaching photos I would.

I already have the basic Boiler, most of the Main Frame, parts of the Lead Engine Truck modeled in Solidworks.
Keep in mind that David Leaphart's book on the FWRR has some pretty detailed drawings already, but of course not a complete set like what you might find in a plan book.
I have a copy of David's book and have read it thoroughly. It's what peeked my interest in the railroad in general. The drawings in the books are very nice, but I like blueprints and super-technical drawings. I like drawings that are large and can be scaled from to do modeling. That's what I'd be shooting for.
Preston went into his project more as a labor of love for the subject, not necessarily to make money.
I'm not looking to make a lot of money, literally a couple of dollars per "book" would be great. I can't justify a project that at the least doesn't buy me a couple of beers.
As for publishing costs, Preston basically does print-on-demand.
I was not aware of that. His books look nicer than I would expect for "print-on-demand" work. I'll need to seriously look into that.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
jazzfan4
2000 post Engineer

Post by jazzfan4 »

Curtis

The board may not allow direct picture attachment but links to photo services such as photo bucket or flicker are fine, just hit the Img button and put the link between end markers.

[img]Photo%20link[/img]

Good luck with your project.
[b]HAPPY RAILS TO YOU :D [/b]
Steve
Chief Engineer

Post by Steve »

I will echo what jazzfan4 said above. Or if you have problems with that, you can email the photos to me and I can post them for you.
Curtis_F
Passenger

Post by Curtis_F »

Steve wrote:Or if you have problems with that, you can email the photos to me and I can post them for you.
Steve,

Just sent you a link to a file on DropBox with a couple of photos. The current owner allowed the loco to be put on display for a public event a few weeks ago, hence the ability to share a photo or two.

I currently don't have any photo sharing sites or websites setup so thank you for the offer.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
Steve
Chief Engineer

Post by Steve »

Here are the photos that Curtis sent. Thanks for sharing them, Curtis!

Curtis_F
Passenger

Post by Curtis_F »

Steve,

Thank you for hosting the photos.

Here's a basic sample of what I'm thinking of as far as drawings are concerned:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/211 ... sembly.pdf

I'll keep the file up for a week or two.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Crutis,

That looks really good, the plan not the enigne.

I think CP173 definately got the better engine. #4 looks to be in better shape just from personal observation and being part of her renovation team. Engine #1 looks really rusted and the wood really looks to be in bad shape. The front fireman side pilot wheel looks like it has seen better days too.
sonicpt
Brakeman

Post by sonicpt »

Those photos really make me sad and upset. I can't imagine how thinking (?) human beings allowed this to happen to these works of art. :cry: :x
Russell - Engineer for "The Little FWRR" ----- Website: http://littleFWRR.com/ -----