Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Ed Kelley wrote:"Even he (Walt Disney) wouldn't paint an engine blue!'
Chadwell O'Connor
Tell that to Wm. Mason.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Chris
1000 post Engineer

Post by Chris »

William is a dark russian Iron blue type color but Walter is a shiny gloss blue color. :p
"SHORT!" "WHO ARE YOU CALLING SHORT?!" (Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist)
"OH NO NOT THE ENCHANTED BEEDS AGAIN!" (Inuyasha, Inuyasha)
"INUYASHA!" "SIT BOY!" (Kagome, Inuyasha)
train freak
1000 post Engineer

Post by train freak »

ok remember the mississippi at tokyo almost the same color scheme as the walter e disney(apparently they like those colors over there and that is probably why). i also think they probablypput those horrific things they call vintage steamer tender trucks on the frank wells also because they are most likely hidden by that shadow. i say restack #1 and get new trucks for the tender and repaint all of them and rename #'s 1&2. then that railroad would be fine. they should also build a third set of passenger cars so when one is in rehab they can still run two trainsets and three when none are in rehab.this seems like it is going to bethe first disney railroad to break the two trains running everyday rule at the disney parks as it only has two sets of passenger cars and three locomotives.. they should also put in a station at tomorrowland. so does anyone know wha the roy looks like there.

Edited By train freak on 1126566012
chocolatetrumpet
Brakeman

Post by chocolatetrumpet »

The tenders cannot get new trucks. They are powered trucks. The black paint job really helps, though. Hopefully they don't have running lights...
No. 4 Fan
Fireman

Post by No. 4 Fan »

train freak wrote:i say restack #1 and get new trucks for the tender and repaint all of them and rename #'s 1&2. then that railroad would be fine. they should also build a third set of passenger cars so when one is in rehab they can still run two trainsets and three when none are in rehab.this seems like it is going to bethe first disney railroad to break the two trains running everyday rule at the disney parks as it only has two sets of passenger cars and three locomotives.
The only way to make this railroad "fine" in my eyes would be to bring in some actual steam engines, be they restored vintage or newly-built, but I digress. I think at least for the time being, they only have two trainsets because they only have two stations. Since the cars are far less likely to have maintenance issues than the uhhhh...things pulling them, there's no need at this time for a third set of cars, as they would go unused most of the time. I'm sure if for some reason one of the sets is unavailable, they could probably still manage just fine with one train running. Perhaps in a few years or a decade or so, as the park grows and adds a station, they'll bring on another set, since they'll need two running at all times and actually may need three trains during peak periods.
Shane
Ed Kelley
1000 post Engineer

Post by Ed Kelley »

Chris, you're missing the point.

William Mason is also a man and proprietor of one fine Taunton, Massachussetts locomotive shop that built the B&O locomotive of the same name.

Chad O'Connor spoke of the repaint (from the original Ward Kimball job) of his "Jupiter" replica by NPS, saying that even Walt Disney wouldn't paint one of his engines blue.

Sure I've seen a good looking blue locomotive, but I agree, the "Jupiter" just looks awful.

Edited By Ed Kelley on 1126582176
CustomFabricatorsFreak

Post by CustomFabricatorsFreak »

anyone know about the forney rumor posted in another topic here
train freak
1000 post Engineer

Post by train freak »

No. 4 Fan wrote:[The only way to make this railroad "fine" in my eyes would be to bring in some actual steam engines, be they restored vintage or newly-built, but I digress. I think at least for the time being, they only have two trainsets because they only have two stations. Since the cars are far less likely to have maintenance issues than the uhhhh...things pulling them, there's no need at this time for a third set of cars, as they would go unused most of the time. I'm sure if for some reason one of the sets is unavailable, they could probably still manage just fine with one train running. Perhaps in a few years or a decade or so, as the park grows and adds a station, they'll bring on another set, since they'll need two running at all times and actually may need three trains during peak periods.

Oops forgot about that i meant only looks but those deisels are a disgrace to walts railroading legacy. about the two stops and three trainsets disneyland ran four trainsets with three stations before videopolis was put in. the info was in another topic that i have completely forgot about. i agree with replacing the hong kong engines with genuine steam trains and sending the current ones on an all expense paid permanent vacation to the local scrapyard or they could be melted down to build the real steam engines

Edited By train freak on 1126589507
train freak
1000 post Engineer

Post by train freak »

Ed Kelley wrote:Sure I've seen a good looking blue locomotive, but I agree, the "Jupiter" just looks awful.

I liked the original red better too.i still have the bachmann
n-scale models from both engines original paint schemes( iam referring to the jupiter and 119) you can use the 119 as a test model on main street station until the n-scale ripley comes out. those peices are really sturdy too but the story is for another time

Edited By train freak on 1126589764
Ed Kelley
1000 post Engineer

Post by Ed Kelley »

Don't forget that in 1955, Disneyland opened with two trains and two stations...(a third train wasn't added until 1958, and Steve could tell you when the first Fantasyland depot was opened)

Give it time, only it will tell (that, and the attendance numbers). Two rather crude steam outlines still beat no railroad at all, especially since I will probably never visit it.

I can understand Disney not wanting to further invest in new steam and its required associated expertise, but still find it ironic how "pollution" was said to be the prime reason for not using steam. So the gasoline engine in my car puts out less emissions than propane-fired steam?

If I ever would sit through a 10-hour plane ride to see an amusement park, it'll be to see the impeccable theming of DisneySea and Western Village (home of the Waipahu, of course).

I give credit to the Disney company, however, for continuing to expand their theme park empire with the addition of another resort. Good luck, you have at least my support for success...

Edited By Ed Kelley on 1126590771