More About The 2010 CPHS Unmeeting

CPRR discussion, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society events and announcements
sonicpt
Brakeman

More About The 2010 CPHS Unmeeting

Post by sonicpt »

OK, here's some more reporting on the recent CPHS Unmeeting at Walt Disney World:

I didn't make it to the Thursday night dinner, or the Friday morning train tour, but it sounds like turnout was good.

Turnout was also very good at Michael Broggie's presentation Friday afternoon about Walt and his railroad history. This year, instead of being at the Disney University building, it was held at the cast member facility just outside the guard shack at the All Star Resort. I don't know how many were there, but the good-sized room was full of attentive CPHS members, most of whom had been on the earlier train tour. Cast members from the train tour were also in attendance, as well as Jimmy Graves, who was to speak later. Michael began with a few trivia questions, giving train event hats to those who answered correctly. (Unfortunately, no one could name all of the engines that run at Disneyland.)

Michael's detailed talk ran for over two hours, which might be a record. But a good number of the audience said that they had not seen it before, and everyone enjoyed the information and great historical pictures. Michael then invited Jimmy Graves to the front, and asked him questions about his past cast member position as roundhouse foreman at the Fort Wilderness Railroad. We learned that Jimmy was on the five-member team at the Tampa shipyard that restored the engines for Walt Disney World, working for George Britton. He then came with George to work at WDW, and later was assigned to the roundhouse at the FWRR. Jimmy seemed a little shy in front of the group, but had some interesting stories to tell. David Leaphart also helped in the discussion by asking Jimmy some questions.

Saturday morning, some members had breakfast at the Wilderness Lodge, and then proceeded to the Carolwood Pacific Room in the DVC building. This building is quite beautiful, with great architectural detail.

My other Unmeeting post tells of Michael showing the new available electric FWRR engine, and about past cast members being very popular at this meeting, signing copies of David's FWRR books. Here is David Leaphart with his fitting outfit.

David set up a book display and gave out free souvenirs from the old railroad, and I was happy to acquire a rusty spike and a slice of the old rail.

Unmeeting coordinator John Bailey had his train pin vest on display. He said that it was too heavy to wear.

David Leaphart got the past FWRR cast members together for a group photo.

Here is Michael talking with Ranger Joe, who made an appearance.

Many photos were taken of the new engine display.

The Carolwood Pacific Room was full of fun activity for several hours.

On Sunday, much of the group met at Trails End in Fort Wilderness for Breakfast. They then proceeded by bus to one of the campsites, where Bob Kelso had his restored FWRR coach on display.

The group studied and photographed Bob's coach and other historical items that he had on display

Many CPHS members posed in front of the FWRR coach for a group photo. Bob Kelso, who restored the coach, is on the left. He said he is also a working Santa at Christmas time.

Then the group split into two groups to go walk the old FWRR right-of-way.

It turned out to be a very interesting and successful Unmeeting, and much credit should go to John Bailey and David Leaphart, as well as to Michael Broggie of course. And thanks to Michael Campbell for sending the FWRR engine prototype.
Russell - Engineer for "The Little FWRR" ----- Website: http://littleFWRR.com/ -----
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: More About The 2010 CPHS Unmeeting

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

sonicpt wrote:Image
Michael looks pretty calm here, after quickly removing the lampshade from his head and putting it back before the ranger walked in.

Thanks for the report! Looks like it was a great time all around.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
sonicpt
Brakeman

Post by sonicpt »

Steve, actually the lampshade was crooked for a reason. Although the Carolwood Pacific Room is beautiful, the lighting left something to be desired when Michael set up the engine. So we moved the table closer to the two table lamps, and turned the shades a bit. But the light provided was still from the wrong direction. But your story certainly is funnier!
Russell - Engineer for "The Little FWRR" ----- Website: http://littleFWRR.com/ -----
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Thanks for the report. It looks like it was a great event!
sonicpt wrote:(Unfortunately, no one could name all of the engines that run at Disneyland.)
What, are you kidding me? Nobody knew that answer? That's a "gimmie" question! :lol:
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Locoboy5150 wrote:Thanks for the report. It looks like it was a great event!
sonicpt wrote:(Unfortunately, no one could name all of the engines that run at Disneyland.)
What, are you kidding me? Nobody knew that answer? That's a "gimmie" question! :lol:
I know - I thought the same thing.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Steve
Chief Engineer

Post by Steve »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:I know - I thought the same thing.
Same here - I could have gotten a hat!
S. Towler
2000 post Engineer

Post by S. Towler »

I can see naming every engine from every park around the world being a challenge, but just Disneyland? Sheesh... amateurs.... :D
sonicpt
Brakeman

Post by sonicpt »

Yes, I was embarrassed to post that story, since I was one of them! But I suspect that there are always a few who probably know the answer but but aren't sure of themselves, and don't want to look bad if they slip up.
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

I would imagine that since this event was in Florida, there were a large number of WDWRR fans there from the East Coast that probably don't have the life-long attachment to the DRR that us West Coast based fans do. Hence, the lack of knowledge of the DRR's locomotive roster.

...just a wild guess.
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
DavidLeaphart
Conductor

Post by DavidLeaphart »

sonicpt wrote:got the past FWRR cast members together for a group photo.
Hi Folks,

For the curious, the FTW RR cast members are (left to right, back row first):
Vern Conner, Johnny Chaffin, Helen and Jimmy Graves, Tom Green, Ron Fink, Larry Teriullger, and Cindy Zifka. David Carriker, Dave Martin, me, Sue Ward, and Dale Leach.

The book is their story and I was thrilled for them. It was great fun and being part of the cast member reunion was my highlight!!!

David
-----------------------------
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing...W.E.D. The new Walt Disney World Railroad book is now available on Amazon!