2-6-2-" Melodia"

CPRR discussion, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society events and announcements
spodee
Passenger

2-6-2-" Melodia"

Post by spodee »

"Melodia" is an 1897 H.K. Porter that began life on a La. Sugar cane Plantation. I first met her in 1973 where she had been refurbished and put in use by the Carowinds Theme Park. Converted from a wood burner to atomized diesel fire box.
Although she was listed as the #1 engine, she was more often used as the #2 backup as she had no engine brakes at the time and relied on the air brakes on the cars to stop. Also being a genuine antique there were no replacement parts and what was needed had to be machined from scratch.
We always started the day with our Crown Metal Products 4-4-0 as it was more reliable. "Melodia" would be put on line later in the morning when needed, depending on the size of the crowd on any given day. The 2-6-2 usualy was blown down about dark and the 4-4-0 ran on till 10:00pm.
"Melodia" could be testy due to age and had a one tone whistle that was near unbearably shrill. Earplugs and salt tablets were the order of the day as that was no doubt the hottest summer days work one could hope for.
"Melodia" took one summer off as the wedge that secured her left piston rod to the main drive rod came out with a catastophic result. When the drive rod came back around it knocked the left piston through the cast iron cylinder head. A foundry was hired to make a replacement.
Boiler schale was a major problem from day one. Even though we used Mogul boiler treatment by the barrel, "Melodia" went through dozens of injector valves. To say "Melodia" was testy is an understatement.
I am so glad that she found a good home and I hope she entertains WAY into the future !
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: 2-6-2-" Melodia"

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Thanks for the fun insight and welcome aboard, spodee.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml