1/22.5 Holiday Red

Discussion related to modeling any and all of the Disney Railroads, as well as general railroad modeling.
Dave Sheegog
Engineer

Re: 1/22.5 Holiday Red

Post by Dave Sheegog »

How are you planning on modeling the steel posts that support the canopy on the gondolas?
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

I was thinking of going with brass posts, since brass is easy to shape, work with, and is sturdy. Or, I was thinking of working with a wooden lattice. The prototype canopy frame is really sturdy, but has give to accomodate wind and movement. I also need to figure out who can produce the canopies. The actual weight of the canopies will determine the frame. I was thinking maybe painters canvas from an art supply store and cutting it myself since I am familiar with its properties. I would then just need to paint the stripes myself onto the canvas. Thoughts on this?

I found out the color boards on the sides of the trains are actually giant stickers so to speak plastered onto a metal frame. That frame is then welded to the vertical bars of the sides of the cars. I think of it as a big tinker toy.

The undercarriages of blue/green are going to need lead weights over the trucks to add some weight since these cars are going to be very light weight. The Cattle Car and Gondola should hvae sufficient weight by themselves, but some lead may be in order.

Almost time to start building!
Dave Sheegog
Engineer

Post by Dave Sheegog »

Lot of good thoughts. The brass rods will be plenty strong and can be drilled into a wood base. The connection that I have always found difficult is the horizontal bar connection to the vertical bars as at Holiday blue/green and gondolas and the connection of the plate that holds the striped sticker. I have considered soldering, but cannot picture it in my mind as turning out satisfactory..

Concerning the canopies, I had the stripe pattern printed on sticky vinyl and then stuck it to an acrylic roof. May not be quite as authentic, but it has proved durable and doesn't look that bad.
Roy
2000 post Engineer

Post by Roy »

Dave Sheegog wrote:...The brass rods will be plenty strong and can be drilled into a wood base. The connection that I have always found difficult is the horizontal bar connection to the vertical bars as at Holiday blue/green and gondolas and the connection of the plate that holds the striped sticker. I have considered soldering, but cannot picture it in my mind as turning out satisfactory...
Hi Dave. I do a bit of structural soft soldering. It's been a while, but I can also do silver brazing. What's your question, regarding satisfactory results?
Dave Sheegog wrote:Concerning the canopies, I had the stripe pattern printed on sticky vinyl and then stuck it to an acrylic roof. May not be quite as authentic, but it has proved durable and doesn't look that bad.
Would some marine material, like what modern sails are made from, have the necessary UV resistance?
Dave Sheegog
Engineer

Post by Dave Sheegog »

[quote="Roy]What's your question, regarding satisfactory results[/quote]

The finished product should be two intersecting bars in the same plain with a minimally visible connector. Is I can see, this would involve breaking one of the bars (probably the horizontal one) and placing it on each side of the vertical and soldering. I cannot picture the solder coming out clean and the bars being perfectly alighed and at 90- degrees to each other.

Roy
2000 post Engineer

Post by Roy »

Dave Sheegog wrote:The finished product should be two intersecting bars in the same plain with a minimally visible connector. Is I can see, this would involve breaking one of the bars (probably the horizontal one) and placing it on each side of the vertical and soldering. I cannot picture the solder coming out clean and the bars being perfectly alighed and at 90- degrees to each other.
As you know, the key is a good drilling jig for the vertical bar. It must drill through the center of the bar, and at 90 degrees to it. It's an easy job for a machinist. For the actual construction I'd probably use K&S telescopic tubing, and drill the vertical bar for the next smaller size tube or rod to the final OD of the horizontal bar.

You also need a jig to hold the parts in correct orientation during soldering or brazing. I think you might be able to get away with soft soldering, but you tend to get cleaner joints and greater strength from brazing.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Update: I decided to have Hartland Flat cars as the base for the gondola and cattle cars. I plan on building the frame from Pine wood still and placing the frame on top. I have my local hobby store finding out if the undecorated flat cars are available. I will be launching this project after I return from March ARB, and 3 weeks of a=tive duty time.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Dave,

If I may, I was looking at your cattle car and I now see why it may look wrong. You are missing the running board. The cattle car and gondola are both built exactly the same. There is a lower frame over the trucks, then the floor, the the structure on top. With the side off of your model, the trucks look over exposed, which can be corrected simply by placing a 3/8" wide strip of styrene on the undercarrage like the gondola has.
Dave Sheegog
Engineer

Post by Dave Sheegog »

IDMT129 wrote:Dave,

If I may, I was looking at your cattle car and I now see why it may look wrong. You are missing the running board. The cattle car and gondola are both built exactly the same. There is a lower frame over the trucks, then the floor, the the structure on top. With the side off of your model, the trucks look over exposed, which can be corrected simply by placing a 3/8" wide strip of styrene on the undercarrage like the gondola has.
You are very correct. The whole freight train was put together in a frantic effort to have something in place for an event that slips my mind right now. I have never gone back to remedy the situation. Someday maybe.