LGB Chloe repair question

Discussion related to modeling any and all of the Disney Railroads, as well as general railroad modeling.
Dray1218
Brakeman

LGB Chloe repair question

Post by Dray1218 »

I just purchased an LGB Chloe. Unfortunately when it arrived, the headlight is broken off. Does anyone know if there are replacement parts available? The part that is broken is the gold colored headlight support/mounting bracket (bottom of the headlight) Are these standard to other similar headlights? Any advise? Thanks.
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Re: LGB Chloe repair question

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Since LGB of America went under, getting parts in the US has been a little tricky. Marklin hasn't paid much attention to supporting us LGB fans outside of Europe.

These guys sell lots of uncataloged LGB parts:

http://www.train-li-usa.com/

If you don't see the part there, then I would suggest calling/emailing them for ideas.

I miss the days when I'd need an uncataloged part and all it took was one letter to Nancy Ridge Drive in San Diego and I'd have a parts invoice about a week later personally filled out by Jonathan Meador, president of LGB of America. Many times, I'd receive the parts for free in the mail!

Very few companies I've experienced have the customer service that LGB did back in "the day."
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
Roy
2000 post Engineer

Post by Roy »

A google yielded this LGB parts breakdown: LGB 20130-1. It looks to me to be part #12.

Checking other photos of the model, it appears to be a rectangular platform with a screw lug at the back, and slots for securing the headlight. If you have trouble buying one, it certainly looks easy enough to make. I'd use brass plate, which should resist breaking better.
Dray1218
Brakeman

Post by Dray1218 »

Thanks for the advice. I have called about a dozen different places that should be able to get the part, but can't seem to find one. There are a few places that are still checking. (fingers crossed)

Roy,
It is indeed part #12. That pesky little thing!

It is an obscenely simple looking part. I may get one machined up, if i can't find an LGB one. It's that gold finish that will be hard to replicate. (suggestions?) The idea of doing it in brass might be a good compromise (good idea Roy, would have never thought of it.) Maybe laser cutting it is a better option to machining? That's virgin ground for me.
Roy
2000 post Engineer

Post by Roy »

Dray1218 wrote:The idea of doing it in brass might be a good compromise...Maybe laser cutting it is a better option to machining? That's virgin ground for me.
No high-tech processing required. Just get some 1/16" (.062") thick K&S brass sheet from your local hobby shop or hardware store. You can get 1" and 2" wide strips (which are 12" long). The LGB part slightly overhangs the base of the headlight, so take it with you (or measure it beforehand) just to be sure you get strip wide enough.

It looks like the screw boss is offset to the bottom, but about the same thickness. It's easy enough to cut that from the same strip, and solder it to the bottom of the headlight base. Or, drill and tap it, and screw the two parts together.
Dray1218
Brakeman

Post by Dray1218 »

Sounds great Roy, thanks for the suggestion.

That's why I love this board. Many, many heads are far better than my one.

My father-in-law actually owns a machine shop. I bounced your idea off of him and he said that he would machine me the piece I need out of polished brass. (or any other material)

So I will sent the remnants with him, along with the LGB exploded diagram and should have my new part in hand next week.

I really like this little Chloe engine and it will be nice to see her whole.

Thanks again,
David
Roy
2000 post Engineer

Post by Roy »

You're welcome. :)
Dray1218
Brakeman

Post by Dray1218 »

I just realized that I never followed up on the final outcome. The part in question, actually looks nothing like it appears in the LGB parts diagram. In the diagram, it appears to be just a simple rectangular plate, with a small screw tab. In real life, the part also contains a cradle and stand for the headlamp reflector and bulb. The screw tab is also on a different plane than the plate. In other words, fabricating it was completely out of the question. At least for me.

I made many, many phone calls in an attempt to find the part. One person would suggest another and so on. I finally located a possible contender through Bridgemasters here in California. They mailed me the mystery part and...it was a match! I ended up getting the Chloe repaired with the factory original part. Very excited to see the Chloe back to her old self.

It's worth mentioning that I bought the Chloe on eBay. She was sold as new condition without box. When she arrived, this headlamp bracket was broken. As I began the surgery, under magnification, you could see that the part that "broke in shipping" had broken and been glued before. The tell tale signs of cyanoacrylate were there. So when dealing with eBay buyer beware.

I wondered why the seller was so quick to offer some cash back when I told him it broke in shipping. :x
Pennyf9Train
Fireman

Post by Pennyf9Train »

that's great to hear, i also try to find orginal factory parts before scratch building them.
"How can you move forward if you keep regretting the past?"- Edward Elric