Grizzly Flats Depot, and its origins.

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
scottychaos
Passenger

Grizzly Flats Depot, and its origins.

Post by scottychaos »

Greetings Disney Railroad Fans,
my name is Scot Lawrence, this is my first post!
I joined your forum so I could discuss the Grizzly Flats depot with you all..

I have been doing casual research on the Grizzly Flats Depot - Lehigh Valley Railroad connection for several years..(one of my threads on mylargescale.com was posted here a few years back)

I finally got around to making a webpage for everything that is known, so far..
Im still looking for more photos! :D
If anyone has any good photos of the Grizzly Flats or Frontierland depots they would like to share, please let me know! I will give you full credit for your photo of course.

I know a lot about the LVRR..but im not very well versed on Disney railroads, so if I have anything incorrect in my page, I would appreciate corrections! any comments, corrections, additional thoughts, etc, are all welcome!

Please take a look at my page and let me know what you think:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... index.html

thanks,
Scot
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: Grizzly Flats Depot, and its origins.

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Hey Scot,

Welcome Aboard! I think you've done a nice job with your website--very detailed and well-organized. I think your Disney history is just fine.

The only "issue" I have is that I don't think the two depots pictured near the end bear any more than a superficial resemblance to the depot in the drawings. The roof, architectural details, bays, floor plans and window layout are all wildly different. To me, it's sort of like saying a VW Bug is almost the same as an Escalade because they both have four wheels, steering wheel on the left, and are made of metal. But again, that's just me, and the depots themselves are neat litle gems that are worthy of inclusion in their own right.

I definitely wish you luck in your quest to find a photo of the original depot! I think the funnest thing about digging up history is the "detective" aspect of it.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
scottychaos
Passenger

Post by scottychaos »

Thanks Steve! :mrgreen:

wow..you dont think the Ashmore and Drifton depots look much like the "LV Pottsville" depot??
im honestly surprised to hear that..
to me they all very clearly appear to be descended from the same basic design..very close cousins, with just minor detail differences..
and there are no other depots of this pattern anywhere else on the LV..(or anywhere else, period, as far as I have seen!)

I agree they are "different"..but to me they appear very subtly different..
interesting..

I do hope I can eventually find a photo of the original LV depot!
assuimng a prototype for that drawing actually existed..and I have no reason to doubt that.
The LV guys are rabid historians, im confidant something will turn up!
I will post updates here if I find out anything new..

thanks,
Scot
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

scottychaos wrote:Thanks Steve! :mrgreen:

wow..you dont think the Ashmore and Drifton depots look much like the "LV Pottsville" depot??
im honestly surprised to hear that..
to me they all very clearly appear to be descended from the same basic design..very close cousins, with just minor detail differences..
Well, to me the differences don't seem all that minor. Honestly, the only feature they all share is a small size with an offset bay. Other than that, every single design element is different from the one shown in Berg's drawing. Even the stoves are placed in different locations. And the bays do not apear to be half-hexagonal--they appear to be made from right angles (but maybe I'm just not seeing it). The jerkinhead roof of the Berg drawing is a huge architectural element in my eyes--neither of the other depots has it.

I'm not saying they aren't descended from the Berg depo--they very well may be--but I would have expected to see far more of a "family" resemblance than what's actually there.

I sure hope a photo of the actual prototype station shows up, but even if it doesn't, I think your site is a great resource.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
scottychaos
Passenger

Post by scottychaos »

Update!
several new photos added..including new prototype photos of "sister depots".

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... index.html

thanks,
Scot
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Thanks Scott! The website is a real resource.
Steve