Disneyland Railroad News

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Disneyland Railroad News

Post by TFN5459 »

Well, as most Burnslanders may know, the 2013 D23 convention was this last weekend and during that time, besides visiting the convention I spent some time at the Disneyland Resort itself and also took the opportunity to take my first cab ride aboard the Marsh (video coming later). I picked up some interesting information that I thought would be interesting to some Burnslanders regarding current news that's floating around about the DRR.

1) Ernest S Marsh (Rebuild info and whistle news)
As some of you may know, the Marsh's 3 Chime Powell recently returned to the engine and sounds just about the same as it was right after returning from Hillcrest. The whistle had just been repaired about 2 weeks ago and was returned to service shortly after. A new valve was created for the existing whistle and then was reattached to the Marsh. The single chime Lunkenheimer that she carried was apparently the one that the Gurley carried in the 90s but that is pure CM speculation and not confirmed. For those wondering, the engine DID have its suspension springs replaced by Hillcrest, however, its still very rough riding though the CMs do say they notice a little improvement. As well, the boiler received a few inches and about 10 more flues to allow the operation pressure to raised from 125 to 150, matching the Gurley and Kimball. Besides the tender seat the new bright red "DRR" journal boxes on the tender, the engine also received a new emergency bell as well as the dual cab signals.

2) OSHA/DOSH Safety on the Water Tower
From what I learned from the CMs, not much is known to the "on stage" people as to what is going to happen eventually with the water tower and its current PVC hose replacement. They do know that management has something in the works but they can't confirm what it is exactly. There is again, more speculation that it is a stand pipe for the tender, similar to what has been discussed on here and used at the CP&LE but not much is known as to what the permanent solution will be, rest assured though, the arrangement they have now is temporary.

3) Excursion 3 Conductor Booths
This hasn't been really mentioned on here, but the Excursion 3 returned to service about 3 weeks ago with new conductor booths, though to me they look more like wrought iron cages. The new procedure for the conductors is to step up onto the adjacent car and then step across to their booth and then ring the emergency bell like any of the Holiday trains.

4) CK Holliday
Yet another subject that has floated around on here. According to the CMs, the Holliday was originally slated to leave the park January of this year, which obviously has not happened yet. The engine as it is right now is having serious operational problems especially with the Excursion 3, so it is on "back up" service to pinch hit for one of the other four if need be for now. A contractor has not been selected yet, but rumors are that the Disney Management team is leaning towards Hillcrest again, which did a wonderful job on the Marsh. The main focus of the rebuild is going to be the boiler, however the OEs do want to also check the frame as well as the tender which would make up the other big parts of the refurbishment. Again another rumor, but there is some word going around that the engine might get its operating pressure boosted to 150PSI, to match the 3 Baldwins, but that is unclear for now.

I hope some of you enjoyed some of these "bits and pieces" of information and rumors coming in from the DRR. I know it is quite a long posted and a little time consuming to read but I found this very intriguing. I will try and post my videos of the railroad and of my cab ride soon, but I don't know when I'll get around to it.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: Disneyland Railroad News

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

I enjoyed the read! Thanks for the updates.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
DeuceMan_408
Brakeman

Post by DeuceMan_408 »

I to Sir appreciate the updates. It takes me long enough just to peck out a few incomplete sentences let alone a lengthy update.
Dave Van
Engineer

Post by Dave Van »

Thanks for the post. Always interesting. Not to hi jack your post....but as you seem well informed about DL.......
I will be going to the park in Oct......How do you get a tender ride? Is there a better day of week or time of day??
I first attended the park in 1960 and this would top off my visits in a fantastic way! Thanks
Carowinds locomotive engineer 1975-76
24000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics
From 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 trips!!!
http://www.currtail.com
DeuceMan_408
Brakeman

Post by DeuceMan_408 »

When I went a few back, you go to Main streets station. In side there was always a conductor. Seems they always have one watching a track board in a closet. I just asked them in my nicest voice and best puppy dog eyes. They'd where very nice about it. You may have to wait a few trips due to engine watering and humor of the engine crew. This was on a Saturday so I don't know if time of week helps. I know you we're asking TFN but I'm guessing its pretty much the same story.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Dave,

Honestly there are 2 ways to get a tender ride. The first condition that must be met is CK Holliday, EP Ripley or Earnest S Marsh must be on the line. If you see Fred Gurley and Ward Kimball only, you are 100% not going to get a tender ride.

At the beginning of your day you can go to City Hall and ask the CM's there to book you a ride on Lilly Belle if she is on the line as well and put you on a tender ride. Lilly Belle tickets will be given to you with a time stamp on the back for your ride which you get to keep. Very nice item for free.

If you want to forgo this part due to long lines at City Hall or whatnot, simply walk up to any conductor and ask for a tender ride. They will talk to the "closet" CM and see if any rides are happening that day and what crews are working whom enjoy tender passengers. if engine 1, 2 or 4 is available they also need to make sure it does not need water on this trip.

It is a full Grand Circle Tour which boards and debarks at MSS ONLY. So once you get on, don't plan on leaving until you get back to MSS. Same holds true for Lilly Belle. Nothing beats a view of the Grand Canyon from inside Lilly Belle. So I seriously recommend asking about it.

I hope you get your magic.
Dave Van
Engineer

Post by Dave Van »

THANKS!
Carowinds locomotive engineer 1975-76
24000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics
From 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 trips!!!
http://www.currtail.com
altosax18
Passenger

Post by altosax18 »

I would add:

For tender rides I always ask the conductor inside MSS. If it's currently too hot they will tell you they aren't doing them right now and to come back later in the evening. The engineers really only say no if they have to do a blow down during that trip or if they just had a group do a tender ride (some engineers will allow two tender rides in a row while others will not). Because they don't fill up using the water tower anymore, they are able to do tender rides on trips that they fill up with water. I have had this happen while I was on a tender ride. Not using the water tower is actually good for anyone who wants to do a tender ride, they now are able to do tender rides on more trips.
Around 5:00pm is when they generally fill up with fuel at Tomorrowland Station and that takes a couple trips to complete. They won't do any tender rides around this time too.

Filling up during my a tender ride on the EP Ripley:

When I was there last Sunday I noticed they finally fixed the spelling on the plaque inside the cab of the Ernest S. Marsh. Every little detail matters even if most guests will never see it.

This was they way it used to look after the refurbishment before they fixed it:
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

error
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Well with three trains running, you are guaranteed to get a tender engine on any given day, which is the benefit of having a tender seat on the Marsh, unless its an unusually slow two train day, which happens from time to time in the slow season. A fore warning though, more and more people seem to be requesting tender rides now so the line does sometimes get very long. I waited almost 90 minutes for mine. When you come into the station asked the cast member on duty there about the tender ride and they'll tell you to wait on the bench off to the side by the "A" gate toward the front of the train. Then just pretty much cross your fingers that they will let you on. I do admit with that much waiting time in the station, you do get to admire all those details inside the station but do plan in advance on a wait time that could be over an hour. They do take fuel in the afternoon but from Toontown and the small pump by small world. Also, the wait time will also vary by the number of tender engines on line at any given time. I hope this helps.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."