Lilly Belle is finally home!

Discussion about the Walt Disney World Railroad
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: Lilly Belle is finally home!

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Cannonball7 wrote:...with the exception of the last segment where the engineer is having real trouble getting "Lilly Belle" out of the Fantasyland Station.
What's wrong with that part? It's the best!
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Cannonball7
1000 post Engineer

Post by Cannonball7 »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Cannonball7 wrote:...with the exception of the last segment where the engineer is having real trouble getting "Lilly Belle" out of the Fantasyland Station.
What's wrong with that part? It's the best!
:lol:

I was always told that spinning the drivers like that created flat areas on the tires and was not good for the track. Of course, Steve, you've spent time in a cab and I haven't. So, I defer to your expertise.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

It won't create any flat spots (that happens when you lock the drivers with the brake and slide them), but it's a little hard on the engine and the fireman.

It's just cool to see the engine struggling to bite the rail and get the train going. It happens.

A little sand might have helped here.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
jbponzi
Brakeman

Post by jbponzi »

Disney does not typically allow or like sanding is what I recall.
Justin
Bill Abele
Brakeman

Post by Bill Abele »

We always had a small pile of sand at the main train station on the Cedar Point and Lake Erie RR to sand the track when it rained to not spin the wheels when pulling out.
Bruce R Pier
1000 post Engineer

Post by Bruce R Pier »

Bill Abele wrote:We always had a small pile of sand at the main train station on the Cedar Point and Lake Erie RR to sand the track when it rained to not spin the wheels when pulling out.
You had sand?! Mike never let us use sand. We got very skilled at slowly pumping the throttle with the cylinder cocks open. Jennie almost never slipped, the Vulcans were a little more pron to it
CP&LE Engineer
Brakeman

Post by CP&LE Engineer »

If you are good at it you don't need sand. But we have one guy that cries about everything and has never got the hang of it. He complains every time we open the cylinders leaving the station. He claims we are wasting steam and oil. Nevermind the water that is pouring out. The pile of sand is there but rarely used.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

CP&LE Engineer wrote:He complains every time we open the cylinders leaving the station. He claims we are wasting steam and oil.
Seriously? That guy doesn't belong on the railroad.

Let him blow a cylinder head off and see what's more expensive - the repair, or the two gallons of water and 3 ounces of oil he might have expelled opening the cylinder cocks.
Steve

Cannonball7
1000 post Engineer

Post by Cannonball7 »

While I appreciate the whole "spinning the drivers" conversation...I'd like to get back to what is that black box hanging off Miss Lilly with all the wires that are totally "bad show" for Disney.