* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: A few decent pics from my recent trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm 
Passenger

Thought I'd share... https://flic.kr/s/aHsm94t1VB

Here are some of the better ones I took I think.

Obligatory pic :D

You're attention please....

A few random detail shots. I always like to take pictures of random bits like these in case I want to model something one day.

Time for some water

I never really railfan much at the parks because I'm always with people who aren't interested. I convinced my sister to eat with me at the Hungry Bear this time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A few decent pics from my recent trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 am 
4000 post Engineer

Great photos - thanks for posting them. :)

What did you think of the new DRR route? Was this your first time seeing it in person?

That darned ladder and hose! I was *SO* hoping that they'd give the water tank something to do when the DRR reopened. DRAT! :x

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm 
Passenger

Yes, this was my first time on the new route.

Overall I really liked it... still have the same complaints about the width of the bridge and the safety netting.. almost feels more like riding over a pier than a trestle but I get the day and age we live in.

I really like the raised right-of-way over by Big Thunder trail and that they ring the bell and whistle a few times over there to get people's attention.

Past that though it seems like the landscaping is a combination of too sparse and too well manicured. This hopefully will get better as things grow. The tunnel going in to Toontown station is a bit bland too but I remember there wasn't a lot back there to begin with.

Overall the concept art I think made it look a lot better but the end result is still pretty nice.

As far as the water goes, sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't just be thankful the trains are there at all. I keep waiting to hear that the lawyers decided moving attractions are just too dangerous so the trains become static displays and all of the rides shutdown and are nothing more than photo props.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 pm 
3000 post Engineer

beautiful shots of the trains. Is that the new speaker system on the excursion set. I don't remember those boxes being there by the lamps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am 
4000 post Engineer

jsalmans wrote:
As far as the water goes, sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't just be thankful the trains are there at all. I keep waiting to hear that the lawyers decided moving attractions are just too dangerous so the trains become static displays and all of the rides shutdown and are nothing more than photo props.

I agree with you. I nitpick about the water tower way too much. I should be thankful that the locomotives require any water at all.

Hmmm...now you got me wondering if the suit-clad lawyers were one of the reasons why Shanghai Disneyland doesn't have a train ride at all. :roll:

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 pm 
1000 post Engineer

jsalmans wrote:
Yes, this was my first time on the new route.

Overall I really liked it... still have the same complaints about the width of the bridge and the safety netting.. almost feels more like riding over a pier than a trestle but I get the day and age we live in.

I really like the raised right-of-way over by Big Thunder trail and that they ring the bell and whistle a few times over there to get people's attention.

Past that though it seems like the landscaping is a combination of too sparse and too well manicured. This hopefully will get better as things grow. The tunnel going in to Toontown station is a bit bland too but I remember there wasn't a lot back there to begin with.

Overall the concept art I think made it look a lot better but the end result is still pretty nice.

The tunnel is quite boring, but if you watch some of the videos with low light cameras that can pick up details in the dark, there is a fascinating nod to Nature's Wonderland hidden in that tunnel though. The only thing I dislike about that tunnel are the way the portals are stylized, which remind me more of Tattooine, which I believe should be on the other side of the rock work as opposed to the Frontier side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm 
8000 post Engineer

Locoboy5150 wrote:
I nitpick about the water tower way too much.
I don't think you nitpick too much at all. That simply looks ridiculous.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:31 pm 
Passenger

jsalmans wrote:

Some of those long stretches would have been perfect spots for some animal animatronics... Maybe a family of bears playing instruments too, like some kind of "jamboree" or something...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:05 am 
4000 post Engineer

Cory Gross wrote:
Maybe a family of bears playing instruments too, like some kind of "jamboree" or something...

You can still see and hear those bears performing. You just have to go far away from California and into another state and another country.

Those bears are bilingual too! :lol:

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:39 pm 
Passenger

I like the new layout and all, but is it just me or do the new animals look plastic? Like something you would buy at your neighborhood nursery for the back yard?

Profile E-mail  

[ 10 posts ]