DRR To Close For Star Wars Land Construction

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
sourdough
Passenger

DRR To Close For Star Wars Land Construction

Post by sourdough »

Hurry and get those rides in before 2016 kicks in : http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthr ... -Fantasmic
Rob Fendler
Fireman

Re: DRR To Close For Star Wars Land Construction

Post by Rob Fendler »

Any word on what will happen to the DLRR crew while this is happening?

There are also rumors of the track being re-routed at the north end of the Rivers of America.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Rob Fendler wrote:Any word on what will happen to the DLRR crew while this is happening?

There are also rumors of the track being re-routed at the north end of the Rivers of America.
The OC Register reported that the CM's working in those areas and on those attractions would be offered temporary positions elsewhere. Although its not an ideal situation to have the railroad and all of the Rivers of America down at once, it seems like a good time to do some maintenance of way on the entire line, just track work and other work that couldn't otherwise be completed while the park is closed overnight.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Thanks for the heads up. This is the longest DRR closure that I'll deal with since Splash Mountain was built. It was painful then and I'm sure that this closure will be too.
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Locoboy5150 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. This is the longest DRR closure that I'll deal with since Splash Mountain was built. It was painful then and I'm sure that this closure will be too.
On the flip side, one wonders if Disney will go all out for the Fullerton Railroad Days as a way to kind of make up for the closure.
TFN5459

tj reger
Passenger

Post by tj reger »

Could the engines be getting some major rehabs during this time also?
Denver Express
Brakeman

Post by Denver Express »

I did hear rumors of engines number 2 and number 5 going out for rehab once engine 1 comes back, but there is no confirmation if it's truth or rumors. I will say, on my recent trip back in June, the tender on the number 2 could us sprucing up.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Denver Express wrote:I did hear rumors of engines number 2 and number 5 going out for rehab once engine 1 comes back, but there is no confirmation if it's truth or rumors. I will say, on my recent trip back in June, the tender on the number 2 could us sprucing up.
That's odd that they would send two engines out at once since it would probably take longer to overhaul the engines than wait out the Star Wars Land construction, leaving them with only the Holliday, Gurley, and Marsh. Also, I can see the Ripley getting an overhaul since it's last rebuild was 1989 if I'm not mistaken but the Kimball was just overhauled between 2004 and 2005 and similarly the other four followed afterwards with the Gurley in 2008 - 2009, the Marsh in 2011 - 2012 and now the Holliday.
TFN5459

Denver Express
Brakeman

Post by Denver Express »

It doesn't make sense to send out both engines, but they will probably just send the 2 off for a rebuild during the closure which would make sense.
Blacksheep Uncle
Fireman

Post by Blacksheep Uncle »

It could take a lot longer for Star Wars Land construction to complete than to rehab a couple locos. :-/ Look how long it took to build Carsland, what was that 2 years-ish?

[edit] nope, it was just under 3 years for Carsland...
mike
"A man came up to me and said, 'Isn't it sad Walt isn't alive to see this?' and I answered, 'He did, and that's why it's here.'" ----Art Linkletter, Disneyland, 7/17/05