* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Ape Pen Publishing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:48 pm 
8000 post Engineer

As many of you may know, Carlene Thie runs Ape Pen Publishing. Her grandfather (as I recall) worked as a newspaper photographer, and took hundreds of photos of early Disneyland. Carlene has published several books featuring these photographs.

As I was surfing the net the other day, however, I stumbled onto something on her site that sort of blew me away. In a section on the Lilly Belle Presidential Car, she excerpted a portion of one of my internet articles on the car. It's been a while, and I can't remember if I ever gave her permission to use the piece, but let's assume I did. It can be found on this page.

As I read the excerpt, however, I was shocked and surprised to see that she had not only changed the text, she inserted complete falsehoods! Specifically, she altered these paragraphs by adding Dale Tetley's name:

Quote:
The late Ken Kohler began his Disney career in the mid-1950s as a conductor on the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad. Through the years, Kohler rose to the rank of Superintendent of Monorail/Steam Train Maintenance. While a controversial figure among those who worked for him in the roundhouse like Dale Tetley, he and Dale nonetheless had the foresight to see that there might be a future for Grand Canyon. In 1974, Ken Kohler & Dale Tetley had one whopper of an idea.

In that year, America was quickly gearing up for its 1976 Bicentennial celebration, only two years away. The two men had the idea that perhaps car 106, Grand Canyon, could be revived as a "Bicentennial Car," for Disneyland, decked out with red-white-and-blue bunting.

Dale Tetley does work in the Roundhouse. But what's particularly disconcerting is that in 1974, Dale would have only been 11 years old!

Why in the world she decided to change the text to insert Tetley's name and suggest he had something to do with the concept of the Lilly Belle is a complete mystery to me, and is unconscionable.

If anyone stumbles onto her site, please know I did not insert Dale into the narrative of the Lilly Belle. This is a complete fabrication by Thie, and I have asked her to remove the piece from her website.

UPDATE: Thie responded that she did not make the additions, but only cut and pasted it from the Internet. I find this difficult to believe, since an Internet search of the terms "tetley kohler lilly belle degaetano" only brings up her site.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

[ 1 post ]