Rivers of America

Comments about this board, discussion not related to Disney Railroads
S. Towler
2000 post Engineer

Re: Rivers of America

Post by S. Towler »

Sternwheelers are a subject I'm lost in too. In the real world, how do they steer with the paddlewheel being where the rudder traditionally is?
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

Sam, if you'll look at that link I posted, the rudder is directly in front of the paddle wheel.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
S. Towler
2000 post Engineer

Post by S. Towler »

That's what happens when I read too fast, haha. Figured it was there somewhere!
Unfortunate Bystander
Fireman

Post by Unfortunate Bystander »

So being bored and sitting in front of a computer, I've been Googling! :-) I want to than Steve for the impetus, I've learned a fair amount about sternwheel propulsion.

The Amerian Engineer published in 1889 speaks of the 'pitman'
The connecting rod of ordinary engineering practice becomes a pitman in river service, and in order to get the exact...
The Journal of the Association of Engineering Societies in 1885 also speaks of the 'pitman'
pressure upon the crank pin, and another bending moment due to the weight of the crank and after half of the pitman.
I found early references to 'pitman arm' as well but not having to do with steam boats. Interestingly, 1959 and 1960s Cadillacs had problems with their pitman arms...

Just a few data points to muse over...
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Steve,

Is there a similar link to a detailed article of the Mark Twain as was done on Columbia?

Thanks.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

IDMT129 wrote:Steve,

Is there a similar link to a detailed article of the Mark Twain as was done on Columbia?

Thanks.
No, Dennis. I started one, but never got around to it. After I finish the current project (2nd Edition), maybe I'll finish the MT article and post it to Burnsland!
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

I would encourage folks to post old pictures and current pictures of the Rivers of America on this forum for those who would like to model the waters and denizens of the Rivers.