Kim Pedersen, Monorail Society founder, passed away 1-24-17

Comments about this board, discussion not related to Disney Railroads
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Kim Pedersen, Monorail Society founder, passed away 1-24-17

Post by Locoboy5150 »

I hate to be the bearer of sad news but this is Disney park related. The man that started The Monorail Society, Kim Pedersen of Fremont, California, passed away on 1-24-17 at age 64 after an 8 month battle with leukemia. There is more information on The Monorail Society's Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/monorailsociety/

I personally knew Kim as he also is a big roller coaster enthusiast and a fellow long time member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts. I rode with and laughed with Kim many, many times at various parks. He will live on forever in my mind as the creator of the world's first backyard monorail, The Niles Monorail, and also the creator what many Bay Area ACE members call the most terrifying roller coaster on earth, The Termite.

I never rode The Termite as it was dismantled long before I joined ACE, but I vividly remember seeing it on a PBS show about roller coasters when I was a kid. It was one of those things that changed my life forever because I discovered that there were people just like me that loved to roll up and down hills. Kim Pedersen was one of those people and I'm so glad that I personally got the chance to tell him about my childhood fascination with his Termite at the media day for Marine World's Roar roller coaster in 1999, which began a long friendship.

I am sad to see him leave us way too early but I am happy that he is no longer suffering from health issues any longer. Though he was smiling, I could tell that he was smiling through a lot of pain over the last few years.

Here is an old photo from 2000 of Kim and me doing what we always did best - goof off together.

We *always* had smiles on our faces whenever we got together. :)

Goodbye Kim, my friend...you will be missed but you and your Ford Taurus with the real Disneyland Monorail horn in it will live on forever in my memories. (Boy was that thing LOUD!)
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com