30" Gauge Disney Railroads?

Discussion about Disney Railroads in general
cgf2535
Engineer

30" Gauge Disney Railroads?

Post by cgf2535 »

Just wanted to see if I could start a conversation and see if I could get an answer to my question. Now the main DRR is 36" gauge, but was The Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland, Casey Jr., and Viewliner trains all 30" gauge? I also wanted to know if it is known what the gauge of the People Mover track is? Was 30" just a standard it seemed Imagineers liked to work from, maybe big enough for stability with side by side riding yet small enough equipment to get a tight turn radius? Anybody have any thoughts, or just want to add their $.02 on what they think?
It makes me laugh when people say, "I have one [b]exactly[/b] like that one, only [b]different[/b]!
" :lol:
Bruce R Pier
1000 post Engineer

Re: 30" Gauge Disney Railroads?

Post by Bruce R Pier »

Tokyo Disneyland RR is 30" gauge........
jazzfan4
2000 post Engineer

Post by jazzfan4 »

Don't forget the loved but lost Fort Wilderness line.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

cgf2535 wrote:Was 30" just a standard it seemed Imagineers liked to work from, maybe big enough for stability with side by side riding yet small enough equipment to get a tight turn radius? Anybody have any thoughts, or just want to add their $.02 on what they think?
My guess is that 1) the gauge was a nice, convenient size for smaller trains; and 2) off-the-shelf equipment such as trucks and wheelsets was probably readily available from the likes of C.M. Lovstead, etc.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
CC4455
Brakeman

Post by CC4455 »

I'm pretty sure that Casey Jr is 24" gauge, not 30".
cgf2535
Engineer

Post by cgf2535 »

CC4455 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Casey Jr is 24" gauge, not 30".
You could be correct. I don't claim to be an expert of anything Disney, just a fan of all things Disney (railroad especially). Just said 30" because I seem to remember other discussions talking about it being 30".
It makes me laugh when people say, "I have one [b]exactly[/b] like that one, only [b]different[/b]!
coasterkev
Brakeman

Post by coasterkev »

Please Correct me if i'm Wrong. i believe that the Mine train was was built using a motor from an actual Mine train. it would have been the gauge that company used, then with the Viewliner they might have already had spar parts for 30". this is observation not clear fact.
Operating a steam train is a High Pressure Job With a great Training.[/b]
Keeline
Conductor

Post by Keeline »

Yes, the Mine Train at Disneyland (1956-1977) used a Mancha electric mining locomotive that was disguised to look like a high-side tender. The cast member operator sat upon this with the air and manual brake controls and the throttle and sander. This pulled the 6 or 7 ore cars with passengers and pushed the dummy locomotive that resembled an 1880s Porter 0-4-0 without a saddle tank.

Mancha, later Goodman, offered several styles and sizes of these electric locomotives. This includes a range of gauges from 18" on up to 48" and perhaps even standard gauge. The Hercules is one that looks about right and has the right specs.

Functional and detail parts for both the Mine Train and Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad were obtained from sources like C.M. Lovsted of Seattle. I have a couple of their catalogs but have not yet found an original or PDF of ones for locomotive parts.

I have a copy of a document for the Viewliner which talks about the standard RR and auto parts used to construct it. It makes complete sense that available parts would be used (repurposed) to build the Disney vehicles. Indeed, we see the same sort of thing today where many items seen in the parks are off the shelf materials rather than completely new fabrications. This is all done with the Disney designer's eye and we and the public accept it readily because they do it so well.

James D. Keeline
cgf2535
Engineer

Post by cgf2535 »

James, was the Mancha electric mining locomotive the same locomotive that was used in the Knott's Berry Farm Calico Mine Train?
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

cgf2535 wrote:James, was the Mancha electric mining locomotive the same locomotive that was used in the Knott's Berry Farm Calico Mine Train?
Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the Calico Mine Ride, one of my all time favorite dark rides:

Here are some of the locomotives with their creator, the legendary Bud Hurlbut:

"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com