NWRR Train Condition

Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong
FriscoMurph
Passenger

NWRR Train Condition

Post by FriscoMurph »

I understand that the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland used four train sets. I know at least two have been scrapped. Another was tried on the Ft. Wilderness Railroad for a time, and then one sat in Disneyland till 2010 when it was removed for possible restoration. My questions are:
1. What is the condition of the surviving trains?
2. Where are the trains stored?
3. What are the future plans for the surviving trains?

I personally think it would be neat to see one displayed at BTMRR, but not as a wreck, as a proper display wear maybe people can get a picture inside the cab.
Thanks,

Murphy J.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Re: NWRR Train Condition

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

FriscoMurph wrote: Another was tried on the Ft. Wilderness Railroad for a time
Where'd you hear that??
FriscoMurph wrote:
I think the only surviving "trains" are the locomotive and two cars that disintegrated along the Rivers of America before being removed for restoration. You can search this site--but I thought I recall that Carolwood was going to try and do the restoration.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
FriscoMurph wrote: Another was tried on the Ft. Wilderness Railroad for a time
Where'd you hear that??
FriscoMurph wrote:
I think the only surviving "trains" are the locomotive and two cars that disintegrated along the Rivers of America before being removed for restoration. You can search this site--but I thought I recall that Carolwood was going to try and do the restoration.
That's what I've heard too, I think they are in the "fundraising/planning" stages right now but they also have the issue of not having one of the original tenders so a new one would have to be constructed.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
S. Towler
2000 post Engineer

Post by S. Towler »

It looks like they've already replaced the right side of the cab. This was taken around halloween time, who knows how much work has been completed since. This is from LA Live Steamers Facebook page.

Anyone know how accessible the train is? Say if I went during the week and wanted to walk up and maybe take measurements? I'm not entirely sure where the train is exactly located on the property.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

S. Towler wrote:It looks like they've already replaced the right side of the cab. This was taken around halloween time, who knows how much work has been completed since. This is from LA Live Steamers Facebook page.

Anyone know how accessible the train is? Say if I went during the week and wanted to walk up and maybe take measurements? I'm not entirely sure where the train is exactly located on the property.
I'm not so sure about that headlight and it being used as a Halloween Prop but the new cab side looks nice and certainly goes a long way compared to the appearance of the rest of the engine
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
FriscoMurph
Passenger

Post by FriscoMurph »

Thank you all for the Information,

I'm glad to hear that the only surviving mine train is being restored. Hopefully someday I'll be able to see it when it is fully restored.

I'm honestly not sure where I had read about the mine train being tested on the Ft. Wilderness Railroad. I just know that I did read it, and I took down some notes about it. My notes say that the engine's batteries died during the test and that is why it was sent back(or scrapped I guess). I apologize if this is just a rumor. I DO NOT wish to spread rumors, I had just read that somewhere.

Thanks,

Murphy J.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

FriscoMurph wrote: I'm honestly not sure where I had read about the mine train being tested on the Ft. Wilderness Railroad. I just know that I did read it, and I took down some notes about it. My notes say that the engine's batteries died during the test and that is why it was sent back(or scrapped I guess). I apologize if this is just a rumor. I DO NOT wish to spread rumors, I had just read that somewhere.
Certainly no need to apologize. I suppose anything is possible. It's just that I've never read this anywhere myself (maybe I need to look more closely at David Leaphart's books--they are the bible on the subject, and I many have missed that part).
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Varnish Car
Brakeman

Post by Varnish Car »

I remember reading this in David L's book. There is even a photo as I recall.
Pullman
Engineer

Post by Pullman »

My understanding is that still there exists no formal agreement between the Disney company and Carolwood as to the project. Until such time as that is settled, don't expect anything to happen.
"Mongo not know where choo-choo go. Only pawn in game of life."

www.theblueparrot.info

Disney, Pop Culture and Entertainment. 6 Days A Week.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

OK, I finally found the info about a Nature's Wonderland train being tested at Fort Wilderness. it's in David Leaphart's first book, pages 91 - 92. The battery-powered train was tested as a possible way to keep costs of operations down as the railroad tried to figure out if it could pay to have the entire right-of-way rebuilt around 1981/82. The reason the trains were not used in not that the battery died (it DID NOT), but the train was so slow it took an hour to get around the railroad. This is based on crew memories--there are no photos.
Steve