Smoke Fluid

Discussion related to modeling any and all of the Disney Railroads, as well as general railroad modeling.
Denver Express
Brakeman

Smoke Fluid

Post by Denver Express »

I'm wondering if anyone has used JT's Mega-Steam scented smoke fluid? They make a large variety of different scented smoke fluids, my personal favorite for example is Very Cherry. Now, I want to somehow replicate that unique smell of the Walt Disney World Railroad's steam using these scented fluids. I have bought Oil-Fired steam fluid thinking it would probably be close or at least remotely similar but it didn't seem to smell much like it. Surprisingly Coal-Fired steam smelled a little like it but definitely not exactly the same, but I know they are not coal fired but use #2 Diesel Oil. I have not tried the Diesel scented thinking it might probably not be the same as the diesel oil used on the WDWRR engines. I have given thought that I might be able to mix Coal, Oil and Diesel, shake it up and perhaps I'll get something close, but I don't really know.

Any ideas are very much appreciated.
Fire Geek
Conductor

Re: Smoke Fluid

Post by Fire Geek »

Hot Chocolate puts out a lot of smoke and smells like .... hot chocolate.

https://youtu.be/3dcOaV1T9Oo

I would bring a thermos of hot chocolate aboard the Disneyland Railroad in the winter months for the Grandkids. Whenever they smell my G gauge Lilly Belle chug past Walt's Barn it reminds them of all the fun we had riding on the Holiday cars in the Park.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

I agree neither of the scents really smell like the DRR. I even tried the Diesel smell, but it was no match either. I'd try mixing and matching and see what you get.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Try adding some potato chip or cooking oil scent to the mix.
Denver Express
Brakeman

Post by Denver Express »

If I could get the #2 Diesel itself I would maybe try that, but I'd be afraid that it would damage the smoke units, so what I plan to do is mix Coal Fired which at least has a very faint similarity to it with Oil Fired and regular MTH smoke unit and see what I get. I don't think I'll bother using Diesel since I was told it smelled bad like burnt electronics.
Denver Express
Brakeman

Post by Denver Express »

The seller I buy the fluids from on ebay suggested I try Big Boy Premium Blend because it is a unique Blend of Coal, Hot Oil, with Hints of Smoke, Cinders, Ash And Steam. Sounds promising to me.
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

I think I'd be more worried about setting my house on fire than damaging the smoke unit, if I used diesel in it. :wink:
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
S. Towler
2000 post Engineer

Post by S. Towler »

If you can get the smoke to smell a little sweeter than say coal or oil, that would help too. Most likely you'd have to blend fluids.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Speaking of scents of the Park, here is a web site my buddy found that sells candles with scents from your favorite rides.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyCand ... me_leftnav
Unfortunate Bystander
Fireman

Post by Unfortunate Bystander »

Why am I reminded of this scene from Harold and Maude?

Odorifics

(Railroad content: scene takes place in a parlour car)