Walter E. Disney leaving

Discussion about the Walt Disney World Railroad
Steve
Chief Engineer

Walter E. Disney leaving

Post by Steve »

I have heard that the Walter E. Disney is loaded up on a truck. It may have even left already by now, not quite sure. I am also hearing that it will take 2.5 years for the rebuild.

One engine comes back, another one leaves. And actually the one that came back isn't out for service yet, so that means a 2-train operation for a while. Yay. :shock:
Cannonball7
1000 post Engineer

Re: Walter E. Disney leaving

Post by Cannonball7 »

As someone who readily admits that I am not as knowledgable about steam engine rebuilds, why do those of you in the know think it is taking so long?

It seems like the Disneyland engines were only out 'around' a year...
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

It's a good question. The Maud L was in Paul Boschan's shop beginning in the fall of 2004, and it emerged as the Ward Kimball pulling it's first train less than a year later. That engine was completely rebuilt from the ground up, including an all-new boiler and new driver centers and tires.
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Denver Express
Brakeman

Post by Denver Express »

And with the Disneyland Railroad being down, you would think that it would have been a good time to send off the E.P. Ripley for refurbishment around when the closure started, and the refurbishment would be almost done by the railroad's reopening, but no. The engine needs some TLC, and cast members have been complaining about how the tender has been falling apart.
Justin.Smith
Brakeman

Post by Justin.Smith »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:It's a good question. The Maud L was in Paul Boschan's shop beginning in the fall of 2004, and it emerged as the Ward Kimball pulling it's first train less than a year later. That engine was completely rebuilt from the ground up, including an all-new boiler and new driver centers and tires.

There are a lot of factors that go into how long it takes. If it is known that certain parts will be new, time won't be wasted measuring and calculating out the old parts to see if they need to be replaced. If the boiler is done at a different shop than the rest, that could also help things go faster as not a lot of shops are left that can do everything. If things are found, the customer needs to be told and a decision needs to be made, just like any other business. Keep in mind that they have been only running 2 trains for a couple months and still don't have Lilly painted yet.
WDWSteamDreamer
Passenger

Post by WDWSteamDreamer »

Walter was in fact loaded up on Halloween. There are photos out there on the inner webs somewhere already.
We were told a timetable of one year for Walters refurb. But we also lived thru Lilly's one year (6+yrs, cough cough) refurb. The 2.5 year number you may be hearing around the railroad is just sarcastic optimism.
In the case of Lilly, she should be out on the mainline sooner then we think. There are rumors that her lettering has been put on a fast track and the work order is being pushed thru. But, only time will tell. It may still be a few weeks before she makes any revenue laps.
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Denver Express wrote:And with the Disneyland Railroad being down, you would think that it would have been a good time to send off the E.P. Ripley for refurbishment around when the closure started, and the refurbishment would be almost done by the railroad's reopening, but no. The engine needs some TLC, and cast members have been complaining about how the tender has been falling apart.
EP is on her 2nd boiler and had her rebuild less than 10 years ago. CK was the only engine that was in need of ground up maintenance. Not sure where the tender is falling apart comes in, when it is on display. Is it leaking? It looks pretty sound in the photos that have been posted. None of the engines are pulling their original tenders, either. EP and CK had their tenders replaced about the time they switched back to the 1955 logos. I know CK's tender is at Santa Margarita and I think they have EP as well. Not sure where Marsh's tender is.

Hope Walter's refurb goes faster than Lilly's went.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

IDMT129 wrote:
Denver Express wrote:And with the Disneyland Railroad being down, you would think that it would have been a good time to send off the E.P. Ripley for refurbishment around when the closure started, and the refurbishment would be almost done by the railroad's reopening, but no. The engine needs some TLC, and cast members have been complaining about how the tender has been falling apart.
EP is on her 2nd boiler and had her rebuild less than 10 years ago. CK was the only engine that was in need of ground up maintenance. Not sure where the tender is falling apart comes in, when it is on display. Is it leaking? It looks pretty sound in the photos that have been posted. None of the engines are pulling their original tenders, either. EP and CK had their tenders replaced about the time they switched back to the 1955 logos. I know CK's tender is at Santa Margarita and I think they have EP as well. Not sure where Marsh's tender is.

Hope Walter's refurb goes faster than Lilly's went.
According to the castmembers I've talked to, the Ripley's tender is getting pretty beat up and does need to be replaced at this point. However they did say that the engine itself is in good shape and just needs some new paint and possibly some replumbing in the cab. The speculation is that a new tender will be built offsite and that they will try and get the paint and plumbing work in house so as to have all 5 engines back in service. There's nothing else mechanical wise with the Ripley that needs any attention at the moment since her last rebuild was as you said fairly recent.
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Steve
Chief Engineer

Post by Steve »

Getting back on topic here, I am hearing now that the Walter E. Disney has in fact arrived at Strasburg for the beginning of the rebuild work there.
Cannonball7
1000 post Engineer

Post by Cannonball7 »

Steve wrote:Getting back on topic here, I am hearing now that the Walter E. Disney has in fact arrived at Strasburg for the beginning of the rebuild work there.
Now that Disney has down what they want/need from Strasburg, hopefully this rebuild will go much faster.