New Fireworks Projections?

Discussion about the Disneyland Railroad
Blacksheep Uncle
Fireman

New Fireworks Projections?

Post by Blacksheep Uncle »

We watched the fireworks last week from the Fantasmic viewing area. When they do the "All Aboard" segment of the fireworks show there is a projection of a train going thru something that sort of looks like a station modeled a bit like small world. What I found really strange was the loco appeared to be a 2-8-0! There didn't seem to be a great view of it as it was behind arches in the station, but it sure didn't look to have a 4 wheel lead truck and the driver spacing seemed a lot more like a D&RG narrow gauge loco than anything Disney runs...anybody else notice it?
mike
"A man came up to me and said, 'Isn't it sad Walt isn't alive to see this?' and I answered, 'He did, and that's why it's here.'" ----Art Linkletter, Disneyland, 7/17/05
jsalmans
Passenger

Re: New Fireworks Projections?

Post by jsalmans »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYEIjutZQUs

Skip to 4:52 for anyone interested in checking it out.

It does indeed look like a 2-8-0 ... skidding to a stop since I don't see the rod moving much lol.

This is the same reason I won't buy the attraction pin for the Disneyland Railroad or half the shirts I see for it. They keep putting Disney World engines on all of it.
TFN5459
1000 post Engineer

Post by TFN5459 »

Blacksheep Uncle wrote:We watched the fireworks last week from the Fantasmic viewing area. When they do the "All Aboard" segment of the fireworks show there is a projection of a train going thru something that sort of looks like a station modeled a bit like small world. What I found really strange was the loco appeared to be a 2-8-0! There didn't seem to be a great view of it as it was behind arches in the station, but it sure didn't look to have a 4 wheel lead truck and the driver spacing seemed a lot more like a D&RG narrow gauge loco than anything Disney runs...anybody else notice it?
It most certainly looks like a D&RGW C Class engine that is stylized like the CK Holliday...an odd choice since that type of locomotive can be found at that other park down the street...
TFN5459

"Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Thanks for the video and heads up guys. I haven't seen the latest version of Remember...Dreams Come True. The last time that I saw it was about five or six years ago before my son was born. (His bed time is usually before the fireworks start.)

It always baffles me how people that work at/for Disneyland and (probably?) have 100% full access to the DRR's pictures, engineering drawings, and the real trains in person often don't when creating animation, shirts, posters, etcetera. Us fans would die to have the access that they do and shutterbugs like myself would pay to have their access...yet we're locked out. People that are paid by Disneyland to examine the trains up close do not. It's mind boggling and frustrating.

Well, they sure "fixed" that problem once and for all at Shanghai Disneyland didn't they? :roll:
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

HAHAHHAHAHAH! That is a model of a 2-8-0. Look at the caboose and tender, they look like cheep plastic. The big ole 1 on a green background on the lamp is hilarious. Those big ole couplers give it away as an N model filmed really close up. Look closely at the caboose. That is a model for sure not digital. And the drivers are moving, very slow rotation but they are moving.
Blacksheep Uncle
Fireman

Post by Blacksheep Uncle »

TFN5459 wrote: It most certainly looks like a D&RGW C Class engine that is stylized like the CK Holliday...an odd choice since that type of locomotive can be found at that other park down the street...
Exactly what I was thinking...it looked a lot more like something you'd have seen in Buena Park in the early 70's than anything at a Disney park :lol:
mike
"A man came up to me and said, 'Isn't it sad Walt isn't alive to see this?' and I answered, 'He did, and that's why it's here.'" ----Art Linkletter, Disneyland, 7/17/05
Steve DeGaetano
8000 post Engineer

Post by Steve DeGaetano »

IDMT129 wrote: And the drivers are moving, very slow rotation but they are moving.
Doesn't look like it to me if you look at the side rod stuck at the top of the drivers.

Where do you see couplers?
Steve

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml
Preston
Fireman

Post by Preston »

At least they got the whistle right. That's pretty good! :D
Now available! The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Simulator! http://ckhollidayplans.com

My CK Holliday Project and Simulator
My DLRR CAD Download
Locoboy5150
4000 post Engineer

Post by Locoboy5150 »

Preston wrote:At least they got the whistle right. That's pretty good! :D
Actually, as funny as it sounds, that *is* true. They really messed up on the recording of the locomotive whistle on the otherwise very nice Musical History Of Disneyland CD boxed set that was released in 2005. It sounds like a British locomotive whistle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwH4Val3lIA

I think that that particular track was from an older park recording though and it was not created specifically for the 2005 boxed set. Still, there is a definite history of Disneyland not using the real information that's right under their noses when it comes anything having to do with their trains. As Metallica sang, sad but true. :(
"Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad."

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com
IDMT129
3000 post Engineer

Post by IDMT129 »

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
IDMT129 wrote: And the drivers are moving, very slow rotation but they are moving.
Doesn't look like it to me if you look at the side rod stuck at the top of the drivers.

Where do you see couplers?
They are clearly seen right where they should be, only REALLY BIG blocky looking things, almost Lionel style or old Bachmann. I am 100% convinced I am looking at a plastic model with digital effects on the engine, or it is a real poor scan of an actual model and very poor CGI. I watched it on a 32in monitor. We are not cheap at FB.